6.23.2008

HERO Student Profiled

Overland Park student to serve as 'hero' in Africa
By: Kelli Bamforth, Staff Writer
Wednesday, June 11, 2008 4:31 AM CDT

KCCommunitynews.com


While other high school graduates are soaking up the sun poolside, Olath Northwest graduate Layne Anderson, 18, Overland Park, will experience a different kind of heat in sub-Saharan Africa.

As a Hero youth ambassador, Anderson will visit Namibia and South Africa to offer support to children in AIDS-afflicted areas, including feeding programs, clean water, clothing, counseling and recreational activities.


Anderson raised $5,000 for the trip by soliciting family and friends, forgoing traditional graduation gifts.

“I love traveling and experiencing other cultures,” she said. “I’ve been blessed with so many things in life, living in America with a great family, and I knew I wanted to give back. This is a huge opportunity to go to Africa and work with children not as fortunate as me.

“Because it’s graduation time, a lot of family and friends were asking me what I wanted for gifts. I told them that making a donation would be great. I have only $300 to go.”

Anderson will attend Baker University in Baldwin in the fall and hopes to use her experiences in Africa to complement her intended career plans.

“I want to take international studies in college … I want to do something along the lines of traveling to other countries and bringing needed information back to the United States,” she said. “This trip is a great stepping stone toward achieving that goal.” read more...

No comments: